(un)Converted Income |LoM Part 1/4:Faith

30 November, 2015 § 1 Comment


10“One who is faithful in a very little is also faithful in much, and one who is dishonest in a very little is also dishonest in much. 11If then you have not been faithful in the unrighteous wealth, who will entrust to you the true riches? 12And if you have not been faithful in that which is another’s, who will give you that which is your own? 13No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money.” Luke 16:10-13

Jesus makes a connection here between faith, love, devotion and service that if we ignore we will perhaps inadvertently be pulled into the worship of something other than God–Jesus cites money here because the worship of money is so prevalent. To worship is to build your life entirely on or upon something or someone.   

Faith

Jesus uses the analogy of one who is a steward of a much richer man’s belongings. The richer man gives a small amount to the steward who deals faithfully with it. Based on Jesus’ other teachings on stewardship, I’m inclined to believe that the result of having dealt faithfully with another man’s possessions is to present them back in better condition and/or more voluminous than when they first came into your possession. This takes a certain amount risk tolerance on the believer’s part when they invest God’s resources into the mission. This, consequently, is where we start to be unfaithful and build securities other than wisdom (Prov. 3:4; Ecc. 7:2)  into the structure of our lives and our churches. What we have down in our little black books as God’s rightful possession, that all important 10%,  goes to God, but because of the conversion of the other 90%  from money to fuel, food, rent and leisure, we lose sight of the fact that they are still God’s possessions with which we must deal faithfully. This is what Jesus meant when He said that, “…life is more than food, and the body more than clothing,” (Luke 12:23). To seek God’s Kingdom is to assimilate yourself into God’s Kingdom where paying rent and buying groceries are seen as no less of an act of worship than  to tithe 90% of your unconverted income. Through the continual submission of all of life to Jesus, we ought to be able to count every percentage of our whole lives as tithed unto the Lord. This mindset comes only from the proper belief in God as our Father who provides for every need according to His riches in glory–even that which would cost Him His only Son in order that we would be made beloved children and extend that offer to all of humanity through all of life. What God has done to you, He desires to do through you.

Advertisements

Tagged: , , , , , , , , ,

§ One Response to (un)Converted Income |LoM Part 1/4:Faith

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

What’s this?

You are currently reading (un)Converted Income |LoM Part 1/4:Faith at One More Straw.

meta

%d bloggers like this: